I don’t check my Gmail that often, so sometimes I missed some important mails. Also there are some emails that contain timely information and you cannot afford to read them later on. You can easily see and access new emails you receive in Gmail inbox directly on your desktop without going to your Gmail account. For this, you have to enable desktop notifications for Gmail.
1. Go to Gmail and sign in into your account.
2. Click on the Gear icon and from the drop-down select Settings.
3. In the General tab scroll down to Desktop Notifications. Click the ‘Click here to enable desktop notifications for Gmail’. Browser will ask your permission to Allow Desktop notifications for Gmail. Select Allow.
4. Select Chat notifications on and New mail notifications on. You can also choose the option Important mail notifications on. This will show desktop notifications only for important emails.
6. You’ll be now be able to see and access any new mail as soon as it arrives from the bottom right corner of your desktop.
So even Gmail is not opened in your browser, you will be able to see all the new emails and if it looks important, you can click it to view the full email in your browser.
If you want to turn of the desktop notifications, go back to settings, unselect Chat notifications on and New mail notifications on and save changes.
Note: Please note that in order to see desktop notifications for Gmail, you must have chrome browser opened.