Generally, we use windows account password to lock and unlock our PC. But I found another very cool way to lock/unlock windows PC. You can use a USB flash drive to lock your PC. It works like this – When you remove the USB stick from the PC, your system locks and when you insert back the drive, your system automatically unlocks. Your USB flash drive works as a key, pretty much like they do in movies. So you can use your regular USB pen drive as an access control device. You only need to install software called Predator.
Now, why would I lock my PC with an USB drive if I can simply do it by pressing win key + L? I have no answer to this but if you are a techno geek who loves to try new things, this is thing for you. It works as follows:
– You insert the USB flash drive or SD Card.
– You run the Predator. You can also set it to auto start at system start up.
– You use your system and do the work.
– When you are going away, just take the USB drive or SD card with you. Once removed, the keyboard and mouse are disabled and the screen darkens.
– When your return back to your PC, you put the USB flash drive in place and everything restored immediately.
Lock PC with USB flash drive:
Using the Predator software is very easy.
1. Download the free version of Predator software from their website. It is very small in size and included in the zip folder. Unzip it and double click on the Installpredator.exe to install it.
2. Run the Predator. When you run it for the first time, it will ask you to set a password and register key. Insert your USB drive and click Ok.
4. Your USB Key is ready and working. You can see a green icon in notification area scanning for changes.
5. In case you lost or misplaced your pen drive, you can use the password you set and it will help you to unlock your system.
2. It can send alert messages to Email when someone trying to access your system falsely.
3. It disables the Windows task manager when you unplug the USB drive. Nobody can stop it with Ctrl-Alt-Del.
I am not going to explain all the details of the software, but you can check and manage all of them by going to preferences. I personally use this USB lock and it works quite good. Try it and Tell me you like it or not?