Few months back, I shared an Android app called wifkill to kick other devices off a wifi network. Let’s do the same thing again, but this time with a windows PC. A small software utility called NetCut(popularly known as Wifikill for PC) does the same thing which the wifikill apk app does. The main problem with the wifikill app is its requirement of a rooted android phone. But no special requirement needed for NetCut. It can be installed and operated on any normal Windows 7 and windows 8/8.1 PC.
This post is solely for educational and learning purpose. This software should only be used on your Local wi-fi network. It is not meant to be used with public wi-fi networks. This software should not be misused and should not be used to play with any public wireless network security.
Before beginning the turorial, let’s take a look at some features of Netcut.
What NetCut can Do?
- Netcut is a wireless network analyzer tool.
- You can find MAC addresses of all the devices connected to your Wireless LAN. You can find their brand name, IP address and even change their MAC address.
- The most interesting part is you can Disable the Internet connectivity of any device connected to the wifi network.
Installing and operating NetCut (wifikill for PC):
1. First of all download the Netcut (only 2 MB in size) from the following link. Unpack the content of rar file to get the setup files.
Download Here –Netcut (Mediafire link)
3. Restart your system. Click on the newly created Netcut icon on desktop (if you choose to create desktop icon at time of installation else run it from program list).
5. Here, you can see IP address, Physical address (MAC Address) and host name of various devices.
6. In order to cut the Internet connectivity of a device, select it from list and click on cutoff button. The blue icon for that device will turn into red showing that device has been lost its internet connectivity. If you want to restore the internet connectivity, simply select the device and click the Resume button.
10. You will not be able to control the devices which have Anti- netcut (Netcut defender) installed and running.
How Netcut Works:
NetCut makes use of a ARP(Adress Resolution Protocol) Spoofing technique. The attacker associate the victm’s ip address with his own mac address, so that all the traffic which is meant for victom PC flow to Hacker’s system. As a result, the victim’s PC loose Internet Connectivity.Unfortunately, ARP is a stateless protocol. This means we continue to accept ARP replies and overwrite the old ones, even they have not expired yet. Worse, ARP does not define any authentication method to check whether the replies come from the trusted one.